a friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

GABI NG AWITING PILIPINO - 2004, European Finals, Paris

Next day, Saturday, we were due for practice in the hall for the contest at 12 noon so upon waking up at 10:00 and getting ready, we got a quick breakfast at the café just beside the hotel where there were people smoking and since the ventilation was not great, we ended up smelling like smoke… hhmm, siguro we’ll grow kasi pina-usukan kami… hwehwehwe… anyways, I went to the grocery to get some extra baby food and snacks for my little monster, then when I went back, the other participants were there waiting for me. Another person picked us up from the hotel and we started chatting a bit on the way… Although we only get to introduce ourselves in the hall coz we didn’t have time on the way to the center (again via that now familiar METRO, biceps grow, biceps grow).

The contest venue was near Centre Pompidou, the modern-art museum and it was a real theater with black background and formal seats where people could watch… Geez felt like being in a musical or something… anyway, we were waiting for our turn, chatting a bit, practicing a bit specially our common song, Kay Ganda ng Ating Musika (yup, it’s the theme song so can’t change that you know)… then by 3:oo p.m. it seems like we’re not gonna be able to practice on stage so we went for a break and had late lunch-cum-early dinner. By then, we were with Gaylord, the Singing Queen from Madrid (yes tita, manash sha!). I’ll write an entry on his story and you will understand when I say to him at the end of the meal “Hay nako Tita, if you win, you really deserve it after all you’ve been through! Drama! Sobra!”

Now, going back to the hall, Gaylord and I were able to practice our songs and it was costume time. As some of you may know, my hair is always done by my talented hubby so without further ado, he started with my do, adding details here and there and suffocating me with hair spray so that my look will stay put. By then, somebody could have touched my hair and would have gotten stuck to it. Hehehe… jokes only… Then I put on my make-up and finally the dress. I’ll make another entry also about the dress kasi it has a story of its own.

Anyways, the program started with the 4 national contenders from Paris. The winner from this part will join our group under the “Battle of the Champions”. I realized that in Paris, they don’t have any age limit because some of the contestants were teens, like 13 yrs. old and above. I think in Germany, the age was 18 and above. 3 girls sang a Regine Velasquez song: Isang Lahi, Sana’y maulit muli and Ikaw. The boy sang Habang may Buhay from After Image and he won the first prize.

On the second part, we were 6 contenders, 3 from Paris, France (winners for years 2002, 2003 and 2004 respectively), 2 from Madrid, Spain (last year and this years’ winners) and I from Bonn, Germany. It was tougher because some of the contestants are seasoned singers and they are so sure with their gesture and singing, I felt like Maria went to town! The first one, Mitch from Madrid sang "Isang Lahi". God was she good! Then it was my turn to sing my "Paglisan" song and holding my head up, poise and all, and muster all the guts I have to showcase what I can do. Or kung di ko man madaan sa pagkanta ko, madaan ko na lang sa poise diba?!? hahaha... Pero honestly, afterwards, I just think that they are definitely better than me. I just continued enjoying watching them and get some pointers and all. The next guy from Paris sang "Simulan Mo" by Leo Valdez, then a young lady sang the ever classic “Sana’y Wala nang Wakas” by Sharon Cuneta. Then my friend Gaylord from Madrid sang “Paraisong Parisukat” by Basil Valdez and finally the boy who won earlier sang “Natutulog ba ang Diyos” by Gary Valenciano. Afterwards we stayed backstage and waited for the verdict. To give time to the jury, they had another production number showcasing the different folk dances and costumes of the country. Hearing and seeing the number, I must say that there are really so many great Filipino songs and no wonder because we love music so much. Finally the waiting ended and the announcement of the winners began:

“The sixth prize goes to…”

And in my head I was whispering to myself my number “number 2, number 2”…

“… Contestant number 6!”

Well, I’m sure I’ll get the next one…

“The fifth prize goes to…”

Whispering to myself… “Number 2, number 2, number 2…”

“… Contestant number 3!”

Well, now definitely I’m gonna get this!

“The fourth prize goes to contestant number 1!”

By then I couldn’t believe my ears… I was on the verge of tears… Geez! To reach the final 3! Oh my golly! Wow! And they did announce I got the 3rd prize and I was really happy specially when I got the envelope and there was another cash prize of 500 euros… hehehe... mukha bang pera?!? hahaha... I was trying to find my husband in the crowd and I wanted to share this happy moment with him!

And you know what? Gaylord did get the 1st prize so that was one good turn for him…

Then backstage, I saw my one and only and we kissed and we hugged and I showed him the envelope and we were shouting with glee! Hohoho! Disneyland here we come!!! Oh my! We’re definitely celebrating there! And we were hugging Aidan and we were hugging Gaylord and Mitch and hugging everyone who cared for a hug. Then each were sharing their bits of stories and before you know it, the evening was ending and finally we were all at the edge of the stairs to the Metro.


However, before finally retiring for the night, we went for a quick bite at KFC with the Madrid people and my family and some quick drink at our hotel room, we were ready to hit the bed and be ready for the culmination of this event in our lives…

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Karampot! I hope you don't mind that I am posting a comment here. I saw your blog thru Justice's. I want to congratulate you for doing a wonderful job. I wish I could hear you sing.....i bet you are really good. Well, take care and God Bless!!

6:42 PM

 
Blogger karampot said...

Hey matapoor! Sorry, kasi was on vacation and before that preparations. Ang daming tatapusin and before I can write I need the inspiration diba? Will try my best to have other entries soon! wah!!!! busy kasi with WYD.

6:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home