a friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails

Thursday, November 04, 2004

A Mom’s chronicle – introduction

Having a kid changes your life. I know it’s a usual thing to say but, boy, it is so true that one who’s a parent can just sigh and say, “You can say that again.” The moment I knew I was pregnant, I said to myself that I have reached a new milestone and that this point will be a beginning of a whole new adventure. And it is an adventure because of so many things that a human being could bring to your life even on a small portion, so to speak.

For mommies, do you remember the magical moments? The first pregnancy test? The first ultrasound? The first flutter of movements? The first kick? And most specially the first cry? Every mother can relate to this and I’m sure in our hearts there is that special memory that stays alive and have such a lasting power of love that its richness ricochets throughout our lives.

Then comes the first few months of the baby. Each time somebody asks me, how life is, I always tell them, “Masarap na Mahirap” (Good but difficult). It takes such a lot of energy having a kid around, taking care of my husband and my relationship with him, doing house-keeping, groceries and all the other things one would like to do for one’s self. Even taking a shower takes so much time, that I’m obliged to take “Ligong Uwak”, meaning taking bath like a bird does.

Then he grows bigger and he’s everywhere in the house. His curiousity is so much that we have locked almost all the cabinets, made sure doors are closed everytime. Unfortunately, my son loves the garbage can and the toilet bowl and gravitates unto these objects like a magnet. At one point, I was asking myself if I’m sending an unconcious signal to my kid about it. But thank goodness that after some research, asking several parents, they say it’s a phase. I’ve heard several stories of toilet papers going to waste, and other kids who also love garbage cans and brings everything to their mouth. Whew! My son is normal…

But after all the shocking moments, there would be this moment so magical, when I just look at him and just feel this indescribable happiness. Its true that all the tiredness goes when I look at my child. It’s the gift of parenthood and I really thank God for this gift. His pa-cute smile just melts my heart into butter and I just go gaga watching his antics! At only 1 year old ha! How he likes to cuddle when he wakes up in the morning… How he now says Dedededede when he wants milk… How the smell of his breath is still so sweet and I can almost wish that I shall smell it forever… How the touch of his skin is so smooth and fresh that I just want to snuggle into it… How the touch of his hands is so endearing and those cute fingers so small and delicate… How he bounces around when his favorite music comes on television and how he runs from one room to the living room to watch his favorite frog on TV… all of these are amazing and I really wish these moments to all you folks and that the magic will hold your heart forever…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home